History of Union National Bank & Trust Co. of Sparta
The history of the Union National Bank & Tr Co began with the organization of the Monroe County Bank in 1894. George G. Dunn was the first president and served until 1920. In 1933 Melvina State Bank was merged with the Monroe County Bank.
In 1907 the Farmers National Bank was organized as the Citizens State Bank. In 1919 it was converted to the Farmers National Bank. The first president was W. A. Jones.
The Monroe County Bank and Farmers National Bank merged on November 21st, 1969 and the name was changed to the Union National Bank & Tr. Co. A. N. Wall was the senior member of the board of directors (elected to the board in 1937) and the President of the bank, with John R. Wall as Vice-President. John R. Wall became president in 1972 when A. N. Wall retired.
The Union National Bank & Trust Co. moved into a new, one-story building at its current site in August of 1971. During the early morning of August 23, 1991 the original building sustained major damage due to a fire. John Wall accepted a deposit from a customer within one hour of the normal opening time, from the back of a truck. Temporary offices were set-up with the existing building re-opening in November 1992.
Randy Jarvis is our current President and Director. The remaining members of the Board of Directors are: John J. Sund, Gary Edwards, Eugene Arenz, Marianne Rice, Mark Wall and Ronald Wall.
We are the only locally owned, independent bank in Sparta. All decisions are made here. Union National Bank's primary regulator is the OCC.